The Association of Fundraising Professionals North Louisiana Chapter held its 25th National Philanthropy Day Luncheon Thursday, Nov. 10 at East Ridge Country Club to honor local philanthropic community leaders. Part of National Philanthropy Day(r) (NPD), the event had more than 150 people in attendance.
NPD is a celebration of philanthropy-giving, volunteering and charitable engagement-that highlights the accomplishments that philanthropy, and all those involved in the philanthropic process, makes to our community.
National Philanthropy Day recognizes the contributions that individuals and organizations make to nonprofits. In North Louisiana, the local AFP Chapter is pleased to host the National Philanthropy Day Luncheon to honor our local philanthropic leaders, organizations, and fundraising professionals. It is important to appropriately recognize volunteers and professionals in our community who reflect the true spirit of generosity, leadership, and community.
“This event salutes the efforts of those who give back to our community,” said Jennifer Martin, president of the AFP North Louisiana Chapter.
The 2016 honorees are:
* Dr. W. Juan and Bonnie Watkins – Outstanding Philanthropist
* Bossier Parish Schools – Outstanding Philanthropic Organization
* Dr. Martin Aviles – Outstanding Fundraising Volunteer (Natchitoches)
* Stephanie Rogers, Bossier Parish Community College Foundation – Outstanding
* Joey Gouthiere and Julianna Gouthiere – Outstanding Young Philanthropic Leaders
* Katja Thomakos – Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts, Chamberlain Scholarship Recipient
* Sonnie Nash – Shreveport Bossier Rescue Mission, AFP North LA Chapter Scholarship Recipient
“These organizations and individuals have invested their time and money in organizations who need their help,” said Martin. “We salute their efforts to make a difference and we applaud their selfless giving.”
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) represents 27,000 members in nearly 200 chapters throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, and China working to advance philanthropy through advocacy, research, education, and certification programs. The AFP North Louisiana Chapter has more than 50 members from nonprofits in North Louisiana.