Parish President Rick Nowlin and Cane River Waterway Commission chairman Jim Rhodes announced April 24 that the CRWC will serve as the non-federal sponsor for the riverbank stabilization project being undertaken by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
“This project is an example of local government agencies working together with the state and federal agencies to address a serious problem in our community,” said Nowlin. “The Parish of Natchitoches appreciates the support of all the project partners.”
This is a joint project between the Parish Government, CRWC and the Corps. The goal is to repair the riverbank erosion along Cane River Lake across Hwy. 484 from St. Augustine Catholic Church and to construct bank improvements to prevent future erosion in the area.
As lead agency for the project, the Corps will provide 65 percent of the funding and the CRWC will provide the remaining 35 percent. The Parish will provide administrative and technical assistance throughout the project. The St. Augustine Catholic Church and the LA Dept. of Transportation and Development (DOTD) will also assist in the project.
“The Cane River Waterway Commission and the Parish Government recognize the importance of preserving this section of riverbank,” said Rhodes. “Not only in maintaining a viable and important roadway, but preserving an important part of the great history of Natchitoches Parish, particularly the culture of the region. It is one way our commission can join these government entities to help the entire Parish.”