The Natchitoches Police Department has recently investigated several vehicle burglaries in the Downtown Historic District and throughout several neighborhoods in the city.
Below are a few tips that can prevent our citizens from becoming victims of vehicle burglary:
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Never leave valuables in plain view even if your vehicle is locked. Place your purse, bags, computers, tools or anything of value in your trunk.
- Try to park in well lit areas.
- Close all windows.
- Keep all cell phone cords and other electronic accessories out of sight.
- Remove all firearms from your vehicle.
- Take photos of your property with the serial number visible. The serial numbers can help officers identify your items and get them back to you.
Be aware of suspicious activity in your neighborhood. Below are a few examples:
- People walking up and down the street looking in vehicles or pulling on door handles; during the day or at night.
- Vehicles driving at slow speeds while looking at parked vehicles.
- People on bicycles or scooters riding around during late night hours.
- If your home has a security camera please contact the police if you observe anything suspicious.
Neighbors by Ring app:
The Natchitoches Police Department has been with the Neighbors by Ring app since 2020 to provide its citizens with real time local crime and safety information. The Neighbors network has millions of users and has been used in catching package thieves, preventing burglaries and keeping communities safe.
How It Works:
- Download the Neighbors by Ring app. Visit the app store to download on any iOS or Android device for free.
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood
- Customize the geographic area to your neighborhood (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods)
- Receive real time alerts from your neighbors and the Natchitoches Police Department of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View neighborhood crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device around your home.
The Natchitoches Police Department CANNOT see the owner’s name, recorded video or view the camera’s live feed. If a crime were to happen in a certain area the Natchitoches Police Department can identify the cameras nearby and send a message for the owner to check their recordings. If a video is identified that can be helpful the resident can choose to share the recording with the Natchitoches Police Department and remain anonymous.
Neighbors is a neighborhood watch app that provides real time neighborhood crime and safety information. The Neighbors app can be used to monitor neighborhood activity and to view photos and to share crime and safety related videos. For more information about Neighbors please visit http://www.ring .com/neighbors.
If you would like to report suspicious activity please contact the Natchitoches Police Department at (318) 352-8101. Remember all information given shall remain confidential.
How to report an anonymous tip via Natchitoches Crime Stoppers:
You can also report a tip anonymously by downloading the P3 Tips app on your smart phone or by calling Natchitoches Crime Stoppers at (318) 238-2388. All tips remain confidential and the caller can receive a cash reward up to $2,000 for the arrest of an offender.