By Corey Poole, Editor
After being without power during sweltering temperatures and a few major storms, Natchitoches residents were quick to wonder why their power went out on a beautiful Saturday morning, June 24. For the third time, a snake got fried in part of a substation’s equipment.
Workers responded quickly to fix the situation. According to Mayor Ronnie Williams Jr., the utility department has measures in place to deter snakes from this type of behavior. This little guy did not heed the signs.
Neither did his predecessors in May of 2016 and May of 2021.
Editor’s Note: The “Chicken Fried Snake” story in 2016 was one of my first stories when I came to work the Natchitoches Parish Journal. I already had a vacation scheduled when I signed on and I agreed to work from my laptop. Little did I know it would lead to the city without power because of a danger noodle that didn’t know any better. It became one of the most well read stories on the Journal.
Fast forward to June 24, 2023 and I’m sitting in a small Canadian cafe writing about another nope rope that slithered where it shouldn’t.
Photo courtesy Ronnie Williams, Mayor of Natchitoches