FAUNA (Friends All United for Natchitoches Animals) is the official non-profit merger of the Natchitoches Humane Society and Natchitoches Hope for Paws. Together as one, we will continue being the voice for all abused and neglected animals in our parish who need medical treatment, shelter, and adoptive homes. Beginning in 2023, we will also start working on a major capital campaign to build a new animal adoption center for Natchitoches Parish within the next four years.
In the meantime, we have wonderful dogs who are being housed at our two rescue sites and facilities. Some will be transported to rescue organizations in northern states, many are available for adoption right now, and some are under veterinary care for heartworm treatment. All are a joy to be around, and they need us. Our regular NSU student workers are going home for the holidays, and we have an immediate need for volunteers.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Volunteer during the holiday season at one of our locations
- The best way to help is to walk the dogs, play ball with them, and give them attention. It is good for them and good for you.
- You can volunteer for feeding time, sometimes chaotic but always rewarding.
- You can clean kennels. We called it grunt work once, but in unison, our dogs yelled, “Au contraire! Kennel cleaners are heroes.”
- For those of you with a huge heart and a soft spot, consider fostering a dog during the holidays. For you, it is a couple of days with a canine house guest. For them, it is a couple of the best days of their lives.
- Choose your schedule. You can volunteer for a couple of hours or half a day for as many days as you want. We welcome you, and our four-legged friends welcome you whenever you can visit us.
- Make it a family affair. Anyone under 18 must have their parents onsite with them. Have a fun family outing while you model giving back and community involvement for your children.
This is a terrific opportunity to be of service and work off those holiday calories.
Kick off the holiday spirit of giving by helping these amazing dogs. Call or text Carla Salard at 318-663-1042 for information and to find available dates that are open to help. Thank you!