An NPJ reader submitted photos of a black bear that was recently spotted along the banks of Cane River, on Riverview Drive in the Natchez Area.
According to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, taking a bear during a closed season brings a $900 to $950 fine and up to 120 days. Anyone found guilty of shooting a black bear may also face civil restitution for the replacement value of the illegally taken black bear totaling $10,000.
Humans and bears can coexist successfully if humans modify or curtail behaviors that promote conflicts.
- Never feed or approach bears.
- Secure food, garbage, and recycling.
- Remove bird feeders when bears are active.
- Never leave pet food outdoors.
- Clean and store grills.
- Let your neighbors know if you see bears in your area.