Thomas “Tommy” Roque, Sr., Superintendent of Catholic Schools for the Diocese of Alexandria, is currently on leave officials with the Diocese confirmed Thursday.
“He (Roque) requested a temporary leave of absence, and it was granted,” said Deacon Richard Mitchell, public relations officer for the Diocese of Alexandria. Mitchell said the leave was effective June 17 and that no reason for the leave was explained to the staff.
Mitchell said staff members are overseeing day-to-day operations, which are minimal at this time due to summer break. As Vicar General for the Diocese of Alexandria, Father Craig Scott will oversee the school operations while Roque is on leave.
As Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese, Roque oversees eight elementary schools and three high schools. Per the diocese website, “The Catholic School System is comprised of eight elementary and three high schools in the Diocese of Alexandria. All elementary schools have both a Pre-K and a Kindergarten program. The schools are located on nine sites, two of the schools actually being a Pre-K through twelve program. Four of these school sites are in Avoyelles Parish, three in Rapides Parish and one in Natchitoches Parish.
The schools include:
- Sacred Heart School, Moreauville
- St. Anthony of Padua School, Bunkie
- St. Joseph School, Plaucheville
- St. Mary Assumption School, Cottonport
- St. Mary’s School, Natchitoches
- Holy Savior Menard Central High, Alexandria
- Our Lady of Prompt Succor School, Alexandria
- St. Frances Cabrini School, Alexandria