CALL TO ORDER, INVOCATION AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, ROLL CALL FOR DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM PRESENT
Absent: Altorio Holden
Director of Instruction and Curriculum, Laura McClain, went over the Natchitoches Parish School performance scores that were released by the Louisiana State Department of Education on Dec. 17.
“We are excited about the results,” said McClain. “We feel like we are moving in the right direction.”
The Natchitoches Parish School District maintained the letter grade C with a rise in the performance score from 77.2 to a 81.4, a growth of 4.2 points. The District grew in all seven areas and received all 10 progress points showing growth.
“We still have a long way to get where we need to be, but I am very proud of what the staff, students and everyone did to achieve these scores,” said Superintendent Dale Skinner.
To view 2015 Natchitoches Parish School District Report Card visit http://www.scribd.com/doc/293754012/2015-District-Report-Card
1.Election of Natchitoches Parish School Board Officers for 2016
The board voted for a new School Board President. The board unanimously elected Ralph Wilson who ran unopposed. There were two nominees for Vice President including Carroll Daniels and Michael Hilton. The board elected Daniels with a six to four vote.
“I think we had two good people running,” said Daniels.
Permission is requested from the School Board for:
- Adoption of Agenda – Approved
- Approval of the Minutes of Dec. 3 – Approved
- Finance Items
Out of State Travel:
Major Bob Kellogg, Senior Aerospace Science instructor Lakeview High School, May 23-25, 2016 travel to Fort Worth, TX. Chaperoning fifty AFJROTC cadets visiting Carswell Joint Readiness Base and DFW Airport. Trip to be funded by the Air Force JROTC. – Approved.
FINANCE, FACILITIES, SERVICES and INSURANCE REPORT
- Take Appropriate Action on Bids:
- Receive Transportation Report
- Receive Tax Commission Report
- Accept School Student Activity Fund Audit for 2015- Tabled until next meeting
- Accept Basic Financial Statements ands Independent auditor’s Reports as of and for the year ending June 30, 2015
- Consider approving a resolution exercising the Board’s option to re-purchase two separate tracts of land located in Section 2, Township 10 North, Range 9 West of Natchitoches Parish, that were sold by the Natchitoches Parish Schoool Board to Allen Recreational Center on Aug. 2, 1983. The land was sold for $125.35 and would be re-purchased for the same amount.
Board Members discussed the resolution before voting examining their lawyer’s statement and considering possible liability issues.
“Buy it back and sell it,” said Daniels.
“It is a good investment opportunity,” said R.Wilson
“I think we should keep the mineral rights,” said Emile Metoyer
“That is a good idea,” said Skinner in response to Metoyer
The vote passed with everyone present voting yes with exception of Joella Wilson who voted no.
“My thoughts are writing the letter then writing the check,” said Supervisor of Business Affairs Steven Solomon. “Lets get everything ready before we actually buy it that way we can get it on the market as soon as possible, limiting the window of liability.”
Receive Budget Committee Report.
Receive personnel update.
- LDOE Allocated Child Care Assistance Pilot Program
- Overview from new Natchitoches Parish Librarian Mrs. McGrath.- Postponed
- Community Outreach; ERW Foundation and First Baptist Church-Amulet.
- Natchitoches Connections Academy and Learning Center (Alternative School).
Board Members discussed the renaming of the Frankie Ray Jackson Sr. Technical Center before the vote citing the need for more community input. The Board was hesitantabout the name change. Previous tension from the naming of Natchitoches Junior High – Frankie Ray Jackson School lingered.
“I don’t think we should go through name changing again,” said Harry Graham.
Thomas Melder moved to table the vote and received a second from Steven Harris. The vote was successfully tabled.