One hundred students from 10 area high schools attended Northwestern State University’s 43rd Journalism Day. First place winners of each competition received $500 scholarships to major in communication at NSU.
Competitions included the following categories.
1. Will Heitman, LSMSA
2. Annabelle Ellis, Elysian Fields High School
3. Logan Bullock, Bossier Parish School for Technology & Innovative Learning
1. Olivia Gotte, LSMSA
2. Madison McLaren, Lakeview High School
3. Alana Lewis, Lakeview
1. Rose Marie Skillman, LSMSA
2. Kaitlyn Randall, LSMSA
3. Haley Horton, Elysian Fields
1. Emily Windham, Lakeview
2. Anna Beth Simmons, Elysian Fields
3. Stephen Husband, Many High School
3. Elysian Fields
Bossier Parish School swept the field winning first, second and third places.
Students attended career sessions featuring professionals in the fields of news-editorial, photojournalism, public relations, social media and sports information. John Lieberman, vice president and co-founder of the Shreveport Journalism Foundation, was the opening speaker.
Paula Furr, head of the Department of New Media, Journalism, and Communication Arts said the department looks forward to this event and working with area high school programs. Schools interested in having NSU conduct journalism and publications workshops should contact the department at (318) 357-5360 or email@example.com.