Powhatan teenager steals John Deere combine for a joyride


A hit and run crash led to the arrest of a 17-year-old Powhatan teenager in connection with the theft of a John Deere combine near Powhatan Nov. 28 at 5:20 p.m., according to Natchitoches Parish Sheriff Victor Jones Jr.

NPSO Patrol Division deputies responded to a reported hit and run crash on La. Hwy 504 near Sandra Street in the Oak Grove community near Natchitoches.

The caller reported that while traveling on Johnson Chute Road near Posey Road, in his 2010 Nissan Maxima, a large green John Deere combine struck his vehicle and failed to stop.

The caller followed the combine to Hwy. 1 traveling south, then on to Hwy. 3191, then south on Hwy. 504, turning right on the Eight Mile Loop, striking a road sign and breaking the rear axle.

Shortly thereafter the operator exited the combine and ran towards Sandra Street.
After deputies took him into custody, Carl Mobley Jr. stated he took the 2011 John Deere 977C STS farm combine without permission from Messenger Farm’s on Hwy. 485 near I-49 and traveled towards Natchitoches with the intent of joy riding.
Louisiana State Police say the Nissan Maxima received moderate damage to the driver’s side while the John Deere combine received moderate damage to the rear.
The combine harvester, valued over $180,000, is a machine used to harvest grains like wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, flax and soybeans. Instead of using separate machines for reaping, threshing and winnowing the grain, the harvester combines all these functions into one machine.

As a result of the crash and investigation, Carl Mobley Jr., 17, of the 200 block of North Railroad Street in Powhatan was booked into the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center and charged with one-count of Unauthorized Use of a Moveable valued over $500.
Louisiana State Police also charged Mobley with Careless Operation, and Hit and Run.
Mobley remains in the Natchitoches Detention Center awaiting bond.

There were no injuries.

Deputies say due to the rear axle being broken on the combine, it was left at the scene overnight until it could be removed this morning. A Sheriff’s Unit remained at the scene all night to assist and warn traffic of the potential traffic hazard.