LA Historical Marker Installed to Commemorate Camp Salubrity

Image_1_Camp Salubrity_sm

Cane River National Heritage Area, Inc. (CRNHA) announced the installation of a new Louisiana Historical Marker for the Site of Camp Salubrity, a temporary federal camp located three miles northwest of the town of Natchitoches.

Camp Salubrity was active from 1844-1845 in preparation for the Mexican-American War. Its most notable inhabitant was then Lieutenant Ulysses S. Grant. The new sign is located on Highway 3175 bypass at Breazeale Springs Street and was sponsored by CRNHA.  Research for the marker was conducted by local historian Henry “Buddy” V. Maggio.
The Louisiana Historical Marker program commemorates facts, persons, events, and places prominently identified with the history of the nation, state, or region. Historical markers are privately sponsored and funded by sponsors. Any individual or group may nominate a location or occasion of historical interest for historical marker commemoration. To learn more about the Louisiana Historical Marker program visit http://www.crt.state.la.us/.

One thought on “LA Historical Marker Installed to Commemorate Camp Salubrity

Leave a Reply