BATON ROUGE – The U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) today recognized six Louisiana public schools as 2017 National Blue Ribbon Schools. The Blue Ribbon Schools program honors schools that are either high-performing or have closed achievement gaps, especially among minority or disadvantaged students. These schools demonstrate that all students can achieve at high levels. Nominated schools submit applications to the USDOE for the award.
“The leaders, educators, students, and families of these six schools should be incredibly proud of what they have accomplished,” said State Superintendent John White. “Their ability to either steadily improve student achievement over subsequent years or consistently remain one of the top performing schools in the state is a commendable achievement worthy of this distinguished honor.”
All six of Louisiana’s selected schools are recognized as “Exemplary High Performing Schools” and are among the state’s highest-performing schools as measured by state assessments. Student subgroup performance and high school graduation rates are also at the highest levels.
The 2017 Blue Ribbon Schools include:
- Northwestern State University Middle Lab School, Natchitoches Parish: NSU Middle Lab School, located on Northwestern State University’s Natchitoches campus, serves students in grades six through eight, while achieving its dual mission of also preparing future teachers for the classroom through a partnership with the university’s Teacher Education Center. This innovative setting has resulted in gains for both students and educators. For the past five years, the school has received an “A” rating from the state, and has twice been recognized as a “Top Gains School” for upward growth in student achievement. NSU Middle Lab has also been commended for showing consistency between teacher evaluation ratings and student growth on state testing. The school credits its success to its safe, caring learning community, a standards-based approach to curriculum, high expectations for students to demonstrate work ethic and personal responsibility, strong professional practice, and the development and growth of a data-driven positive behavior support system.
- Baton Rouge Foreign Language Immersion Magnet, East Baton Rouge
- Bayou Vista Elementary School, St. Mary Parish
- Forest Heights Academy, East Baton Rouge Parish
- Midland High School, Acadia Parish
- Vincent Settlement Elementary School, Calcasieu Parish
An awards ceremony will be held November 6-7, 2017, in Washington, D.C. to honor each of the recipients. Each winner will receive an engraved plaque and flag signifying its status as a 2017 Blue Ribbon School to display on their campus.