Sept. 17, 1929 – Feb. 6, 2019
SHREVEPORT– A memorial service celebrating the life and influence of Dr. James E. Moreland Sr., 89, will be held at 4:00 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019, at St. Mark’s Cathedral, 908 Rutherford St., Shreveport, LA, with the Rev. D. Seth Donald officiating.
A reception for his friends, many prior students and fellow teachers at Captain Shreve High School, the Clergy and Cathedral Choir of St. Mark’s, and many others who knew and loved him, will be held following the service at the Cathedral.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at Lisbon United Methodist Church in Homer. He was buried in Arlington Cemetery in Homer.
James, affectionately known as “Doc,” was born Sept. 17, 1929, in Powhatan, LA, to Angie McCasland Moreland and Dr. William Edmond Moreland. Doc died Feb. 6, 2019, in Shreveport, LA. He was an active member of St. Mark’s, where he was an inaugural member of the Bell Ringers. He also was a primary lead in overseeing a comprehensive update and pipe expansion of its Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co. Opus 1308 world-class organ.
A 1946 graduate of Natchitoches High School, Doc proudly served in the U.S. Navy. He was on active duty from January 1951 – October 1955, and in the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1955 – 1983. He retired July 1, 1983, at the rank of Captain.
He attended Centenary College of Louisiana and later graduated from Northwestern State University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology, Louisiana State University with a Master of Science Degree in Zoology, and Louisiana State School of Medicine with a Ph.D. in Anatomy.
Doc taught mathematics and science at Homer High School before embarking on a lifetime career in higher education. He enjoyed positions of an Instructor of Anatomy, an Assistant Professor of Anatomy, an Associate Professor and Professor of Anatomy, Coordinator of Anatomy, and Chair of the Department of Anatomy at LSU Medical Center in New Orleans, Baylor University College of Dentistry, Southern Illinois School of Medicine, and Marshall University School of Medicine.
Doc later served as Chair of the Department of Medical Education and Staff Services at Valley Memorial Hospital, Johnstown, PA; as an Adjunct Professor of Anatomy at Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA; as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Anatomy, The Pennsylvania State University, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA; and as an Adjunct Professor of Physician Assistant Science, Saint Frances College, Loratto, PA.
He ended his career at Captain Shreve High School, where he taught biology and anatomy for over 10 years. In 1998, he was inducted into Shreve’s “Circle of Honor,” which recognizes and honors those who have contributed time and services to improve the quality of life in the community and/or nation. He also received Outstanding Faculty Awards from Baylor University College of Dentistry in 1969 and 1970, and Marshall University School of Medicine in 1978 and 1980.
James was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, William Benjamin Moreland; two sisters, Ruth Elaine Moreland Simms and Genevieve Moreland Collins. He is survived by his sons, James Edmond Moreland Jr. and his wife, Cheryl of Homer, LA, Russell White Moreland of Oklahoma; three grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Memorials in Doc’s memory may be made to St. Mark’s Cathedral Church Choir Fund, 908 Rutherford St., Shreveport, LA 71104.
“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because, for those who love with heart and soul, there is no such thing as separation.”