The Natchitoches City Council presented a proclamation to declare May 1 – 7, 2022 As National Travel And Tourism Week In The City Of Natchitoches. A Kick-off Breakfast will be held Friday, April 29 at 8:30 am with a program beginning at 9 am at Lasyone”s Meat Pie Restaurant. If you plan to attend RSVP by Wednesday, April 27 by calling 318-352-8072.
The Future of Travel will be a constant driver of Natchitoches’ economy and workforce. A robust travel industry has provided significant economic benefits for the nation, generating more than $2.6 trillion in economic output prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, with $1.1 trillion spent directly by travelers in the US. Travel spending remained at only 78% of 2019 totals in 2021, a national loss of $600 billion in potential economic impact on 2021 alone.
Travel has been the foundation of a healthy workforce, serving as one of the largest private-sector employers in the US, supporting 17 million jobs in 2019. The leisure and hospitality industry accounted for 11% of pre-pandemic US employment but represented a staggering 73% of all jobs still lost in February 2022.
Travel is critical to powering our community, the US economy and the American workforce. Travel and tourism-dependent businesses and organizations, 83% of which are small businesses, are responsible for welcoming visitors from all around the world to explore Natchitoches and all our state and country have to offer.
Visitors to Natchitoches Parish produced nearly $51.6 million in spending in 2020, and generated $3.91 million in state and local taxes. Visitors spending in Natchitoches Parish created $19.81 million in direct earnings by 28% in 2021 over 2020. Overnight occupancy at hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and RV parks increased by 28% in 2021 over 2020.
The travel industry cannot recover without the full return of leisure and business travel, as well as meetings and events, by both domestic and international visitors. The rebound of travel will drive the rebuilding of the US economy and American workforce. The Future of Travel will continue to revive and grow Natchitoches and the United States and drive everything forward to a more prosperous future.
Other agenda items included:
ORDINANCES – FINAL:
- Execute A Lease In Favor Of Marc Millican, Of Lot 3 As Shown On The Airport Layout Plan Of April 12, 1994, And Further Providing For Advertising Of The Lease And An Effective Date.
- Approve The Conveyance Of The Hanger Located On Lot 3 Of The Natchitoches Regional Airport To Marc Millican, For The Consideration Of Forty-One Thousand And Three Dollars, Authorizing The Mayor Of The City Of Natchitoches, Ronnie Williams, To Execute A Bill Of Sale On Behalf Of The City For The Conveyance Of The Hanger And To Execute Any And All Other Related Documents That Might Be Necessary And Proper, To Provide For Advertising, And A Savings Clause.
- Amend And Restate Ordinance No. 40 Of 2022 Approving The Terms And Form Of A Cooperative Endeavor Agreement Between The City Of Natchitoches And The Community Façade & Economic Enhancement Committee And Authorizing The Mayor To Execute The Cooperative Endeavor Agreement (CEA) Between The City Of Natchitoches And The Community Façade & Economic Enhancement Committee Which Will Provide For A Facade Grant Program For Texas Street And Washington Street Corridors.
ORDINANCES – INTRODUCTION:
- Adopt the Millage Rate For The Tax Year 2022.
- Award The Bid For Caustic Soda For The Water Treatment Plant (Bid No. 0647)
- MOTION TO TAKE ORDINANCE NO. 021 OF 2022 FROM THE TABLE: Accept And Approve The Power Supply Agreement For Sale Of Power And Energy Between CLECO Power LLC And The City Of Natchitoches, Louisiana And Authorizing The Mayor To Execute The Power Supply Agreement On Behalf Of The City.
- Resolution Designating Friday, June 17, 2022 As An Official Holiday For The Employees Of The City Of Natchitoches In Observation Of Juneteenth.
- Resolution Of Support For A Grant Application Submitted To The Louisiana Office Of Community Development, For The 2021 -2022 Local Government Assistance Program (LGAP)
- Execute Change Order No. 1 To The Contract Between The City Of Natchitoches And DSW Construction For Building Renovations At The Texas And Pacific Railroad Depot (Bid No. 0627)
- The next scheduled City Council meeting will be Monday, May 9, 2022.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE