Lee Waskom, finance director for the Natchitoches Parish School District, updated the board at its June 16 meeting on grant writers efforts on grants to expand high speed broadband access for all its students. The NTIA grant (National Telecommunications and Information Administration) gave the district notice a few days ago that they are not awarding anything to the Natchitoches school district. The ECF grant (Emergency Connectivity Fund) is still out for $4.7 million. Waskom said this still looks positive for the district and they’re hoping to get it.
The grant administrator for the district’s FEMA report has helped get $1 million in committed money from FEMA. Natchitoches Jr. High, Natchitoches Central and Marthaville may be as high as another $1 million.
The district has also been named to the final round of a Rapides Healthcare Grant worth $440,000. There are two other grants the district is currently talking about. One is a DOJ “Safe Schools” type of grant to bring more technology into the schools including facial recognition. Another one is a grant to supply a Foster Grandparent Program to be placed throughout the schools.
There should be another couple of grants the district will be looking at around the end of the year.
“If we get 50 percent of what we apply for, that’d be an amazing percentage,” explained Waskom.
Other agenda items included:
- Aapprove bid from BSN Sports for NCHS Athletic Equipment in the amount of $47,240.40
- Approve resolution to accept changes made to the Salary Schedule highlighted in yellow (SEE DOCUMENT BELOW).
- Approve The Rapides Foundation Healthy Behaviors School District Partnership Grant in the amount of $53,300 over twelve months beginning July 1, 2022, and grant permission for the Superintendent to sign all required paperwork.
- Approve 2022-2023 The Rapides Foundation Youth Volunteer School District Grant in the amount of $6,700 over 12 months beginning July 1, 2022, and grant permission for the Superintendent to sign all required paperwork.
- Approve the MOU Dual Enrollment Agreement between NPSB and BPCC for 2022-2023.
- Approve The Rapides Effective Schools Grant in the amount of $142,000 over twelve months beginning July 1, 2022, and grant permission for the Superintendent to sign all required paperwork.
- Approve the agreement leasing the existing communication tower located at Goldonna School to Anacoco Towers, LLC and authorize the Superintendent to sign all necessary documentation.
approve Memorandum of Understanding with Louisiana Public Assistance regarding Hurricane Laura and Winter Storm 2021.
- Change the current conditions of the Cloutierville school demolition contract with Bayou Rapids from leaving the gym and auxiliary buildings to complete demolition of all buildings on-site at the same price.
- Approve updated COVID-19 quarantine policy.