The Natchitoches Parish Council tabled Ordinance 015-2022 at its meeting on Aug. 15 when a dispute was brought forth regarding a proposed Dollar General in Fairview Alpha and ownership of the land. The concern was not over the construction of the store in the community, which was described as a food desert. The concern was for a right-of-refusal that was supposed to be offered to the original landowner’s heirs when the land was no longer being used for the site of a school by the Natchitoches Parish School District. The developer spoke to the Council as well, claiming that the land came with a clean title, so the Council tabled the item until the matter could be looked into further.
The ordinance itself would affect a zoning change from an Industrial-Agriculture (I-A) District to a Business- 3 (B-3) District for the purpose of a Dollar General store on a 1.381-acre tract that is being divided from an approximately 7.221-acre parent tract (parcel # 0030000700) with a variance for parking lot requirement reduction to 30 parking spaces. The property is located in Section 3, Township 11 North, Range 8 West with a physical address of 220 Highway 71-84, Coushatta, LA 71019, as shown on the Survey attached hereto, approved by the Parish Planning Commission on July 11, 2022.
In other business, there were no findings in the Parish Government’s most recent audit.
Agenda items included:
- Re-appoint Joshua Moak and Dennis Broadway to the Natchitoches Parish Fire District 7 Board
- Appoint Michael H. Deason to the Natchitoches Planning and Zoning Commission
- Appoint Valencia Jones to the Natchitoches Regional Medical Hospital Board
- Approve the updated Accounting and Financial Policy and Procedural manual. The changes are made to update accounting information and to add policy/procedures required by FEMA.
- Award the lowest bid to the contractor for the resurfacing of Hart Road.
- Engage legal counsel to discuss potential revenue sources and establish Economic Development Districts in the Parish.
First Introduction of proposed Ordinances:
- Ordinance 018- 2022 to affect a zoning change from an Industrial-Agriculture (I-A) District to a Business- 3 (B-3) District for the purpose of general merchandise sales and a vehicle inspection site on an approximately 7.475-acre tract located at 10597 Highway 1 in Natchitoches
- Ordinance 019-2022 for 2022 Budget Amendments for Solid Waste, Highway and Planning and zoning Funds