United Way of Northwest Louisiana held a meeting May 17 at the Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s Office regarding flood relief efforts in Natchitoches, Sabine and Winn parishes. Those represented at the meeting were Tony Davis, Natchitoches Chamber of Commerce; Lynn Stevens, United Way of Northwest Louisiana; Suzie Calvert, FEMA, Logan Fileccia and Tracy Haacker, American Red Cross; and Mary Jones and LamarrMcGaskey, Natchitoches Parish OEP.
Highlights from the meeting included:
- FEMA reviewed the process of approval/denial of assistance for individuals impacted by the floods.
- This led to a discussion on the amount of individuals impacted:
- Natchitoches Parish- 1,394 applied for assistance; 407 individuals received IHP assistance (Individual Housing Program funds) totaling $2,856,295; 15 individuals received the maximum grant amount and one individual house was totally destroyed.
- Sabine Parish- 167 applied for assistance; 44 individuals received IHP assistance (Individual Housing Program $) totaling $172,675; no individuals received the maximum grant amount and no houses were totally destroyed.
- Winn Parish- 385 applied for assistance; 149 individuals received IHP assistance (Individual Housing Program $) totaling $1,342,748; nine individuals received the maximum grant amount and no houses were totally destroyed.
- This means that approximately 1,344 individuals in the three parishes were impacted by the flood and received no assistance. This led the group to discuss the need of establishing an unmet needs committee and the need to provide case management to help these folks.
- The group then decided that the first step of this process will be to go back to the master list of those reporting damage and to re-contact them to inquire what their needs are at this time. United Way of Northwest Louisiana will be coordinating that over the next few weeks and is seeking volunteers to help with that process.
- The group will meet again in early June prior to the deadline of filing a claim for FEMA.
- Community groups, government officials, nonprofits, and service organizations are all needed and encouraged to participate in this process.
For more information contact Lynn Stevens at 318-677-2504 or email email@example.com