A Natchitoches man wanted by the Tenth Judicial District Court since August 2016 on narcotics and weapons charges faces additional felony charges after he bailed out of a vehicle during a traffic stop on Friday morning, which led to a brief manhunt just south of Natchitoches.

Cedric C. Washington, 36, who gave an address in the 300 block of Hwy. 484 in Natchez, was booked into the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center on Friday afternoon just before 6 p.m. He was charged with Failure to Appear in the Tenth Judicial District Court for a plea on Aug. 21, 2016 for Criminal Trespassing, Illegal Possession of a Firearm, Criminal Obstruction of Justice, Possession of CDS Schedule II Narcotics with Intent to Distribute, Possession of a Firearm by a Person convicted of a Felony, Illegal Possession of Firearm in the Presence of Narcotics, Possession of Marijuana, and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia.

Washington now faces additional charges of Illegal Possession of a Stolen Firearm, Possession of a Firearm by a Person convicted of a Felony and 2-counts Resisting an Officer.

The investigation began Friday morning, Feb. 3 at 9:18 a.m., when NPSO Warrants Division and Patrol Division deputies responded to a complaint of unknown individuals living in a vacant residence in the 200 block of Vienna Road in Cedar Grove Sub-Division, south of Natchitoches.

Deputies arrived on scene encountering a male and female in a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe rental vehicle parked in the yard of the vacant residence.

Deputies say while speaking with the occupants of the vehicle the male recognized as Cedric Washington gave them several false names.

Washington appeared anxious and nervous and when they asked him to step out of the vehicle, he started the vehicle, backed-up and fled the area. They pursued him and the female in the vehicle, observing it turning onto Cedar Grove Drive.

Washington abandoned the vehicle, fleeing into the neighborhood on foot.

Additional NPSO Deputies, a tracking dog and Natchitoches Police responded to the scene to assist in the search for Washington.

A perimeter of the area was set by responding units.

During the search, deputies discovered a Smith & Wesson .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun on the ground near the vehicle, which according to NCIC, was reported stolen to Gonzales Police Department in 2014.

Deputies continued to search the area for over two hours but were unsuccessful, although they kept a heavy law enforcement presence in the area throughout the morning and afternoon.

On Friday afternoon shortly after 5 p.m., concerned citizens in the Laird Fletcher and Franklin Lane areas contacted the NPSO reporting a suspicious man walking in the area matching the description of Washington.

Deputies that responded to the area observed Washington attempting to climb through a barbed wire fence into a field. They gave several verbal commands for him to come to them. He responded “Ok” but turned and began to flee again.

Deputies Victor Kay and Derrick Caballero pursued the suspect on foot and were able to subdue Washington a short distance away. There were no injuries.

NPSO Detectives are expected to consult with Gonzales Police Department concerning the stolen weapon and attempt to determine how it ended up in Natchitoches Parish.

Washington remains in the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center awaiting bond.

The female was transported to the La. Adult Probation and Parole Office in Natchitoches.

Deputies say while interviewing Washington at the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center, he stated during the initial chase he climbed a tree to elude capture in the Cedar Grove area.