When most people think of surgery, they think of an invasive, unpleasant procedure. However, a new piece of technology offers a minimally invasive procedure, which is changing the experience of surgery.
Dr. Moshood Olatinwo, medical director and chief executive officer of Summit ObGyn of Natchitoches, is now offering da Vinci Surgery procedures to his patients at Natchitoches Regional Medical Center. The da Vinci Surgery System is a less invasive, robot-assisted surgery for hysterectomics or other gynecologic procedures.
Doctors performing a hysterectomy using the da Vinci system operate using long instruments inserted through a few small incisions in the abdomen. One of the instruments has a tiny camera at the end, which sends images to a video monitor in the operating room to guide doctors during the operation. Overall, the instruments used can bend and rotate far greater than the human hand, enabling doctors to operate with enhanced precision and control.
Dr. Olatinwo is a robotically trained surgeon that can utilize the da Vinci Surgical System, which offers numerous potential benefits over traditional surgical approaches. The da Vinci Hysterectomy offers the following potential benefits:
- reduced complication rate
- reduced length of hospital stay
- reduced blood loss and less likelihood for transfusion
Other surgery options offered at Summit include:
- Her Option: An in-house cryoablation therapy, which offers maximum patient comfort and the lowest complication rate for endometrial ablation procedures. Her Option eliminates the need for anesthesia. The cryotherapy’s sub-zero temperatures provide a natural analgesic effect, reducing pain and maximizing comfort. Ninety-five percent of patient surveyed said they were comfortable or experienced only slight discomfort during the procedure and 96 percent said they would recommend Her Option to a friend.
- Endorsee Hysteroscopy: An in-house handheld Hysterscope diagnostic procedure that allows the doctor to look inside the womb with a tiny camera, in the office exam room, to determine the cause of abnormal menstrual bleeding.
- Urodynamic Testing: A relatively simple test performed in-house that measures and evaluates the bladder’s function and efficiency. It can explain symptoms such as incontinence, frequent urination or sudden/strong urges to urinate where nothing comes out.The ultimate goal of Urodynamics is to aid in the correct diagnosis of Women’s lower urinary tract dysfunction.
Summit provides a variety of specialty women’s healthcare services to patients in the Natchitoches area including:
- Urodynamic Testing – State of the art equipment used for urinary leakage and bladder problem diagnosis
- Female Sexual Dysfunction and Disorder
- Menopausal Symptoms
- Adolescent Gynecology
- Infertility Services
- Endometrial Biopsies On-site
- Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgeries
- Mirena IUDs
- Paragard IUD
Don’t forget that Summit treats women through all phases of pregnancy, from planning through post-partum care. The safety of expecting mothers and their children is top priority, so Summit offers treatment for high-risk pregnancies and provides early detection tests for potential issues with the pregnancy.