In collaboration with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Alexandria, Cane River National Heritage Area, Inc. will host a commemorative ceremony honoring the 300th Anniversary of the founding of the Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes. The ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 11 at Los Adaes State Historic Site.
The Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes was founded by a Spanish expedition in 1716-1717 to establish missions and forts (presidios) in New Spain. When the expedition encountered the Adaes Indians, Father Margil, a Zacatecan Franciscan built the first Los Adaes mission. The Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes was named for St. Michael, the archangel, and the Duke of Linares, the Viceroy of New Spain.
The mission was abandoned in 1719. Two years later, Spain built a new mission in another location less than two miles east of the earlier one. A presidio was also built, and it served as the capital of the Province of Texas from 1729 to 1770. The presidio was called Nuestra Señora del Pilar de los Adaes. Today, the name Los Adaes refers to both the mission and the presidio.
Set to begin at 9AM, the Diocese of Alexandria will lead the ceremony, with Father Chad Partain officiating.
Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes 300th Anniversary Ceremony Schedule
9AM – Welcome and Overview of the Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes
10AM – Procession to and Blessing of Mission Hill
Visitors are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes for the approximately one mile procession on a rustic trail to the mission site. Los Adaes is located just off Highway 6 near Robeline at 6354 Highway 485. For more information, contact Cane River National Heritage Area at 318.356.5555.