Miss Merry Christmas and the Christmas Belles joined Carmella Maggio McCart in helping clean and decorate the Santa Claus House for the new Christmas season.
Jeanette Maggio Gunter, Carmella’s aunt, had the original Santa House built in 1959-60 in memory of her son Barry Gunter. Jeanette’s family has been involved with the Santa Claus House every year since.
Jeanette’s dream was to have a Santa House in Natchitoches so that every child in our community would have the opportunity to see Santa. Her vision has grown and inspired thousands of people to come visit the little house along the Cane River. This year the family has added a guest book for visitors. This book will show all the many places’ families have traveled from to visit the Santa House. This small feature to the house was added after McCart encountered visitors last year all the way from Ukraine and England. As McCart finished the last touches on the house before locking it up until the official opening, in walked a family visiting from Korea. The family was in town to visit a family member that was stationed in Leesville and came to tour Natchitoches. They were the first ones to sign the guest book for the holiday season!
You will be able to see Miss Merry Christmas and her Belles assisting Santa Claus each night at the Santa Claus House. The Santa House will open from Dec. 3-23. The hours are 6-8:30 pm Sunday through Friday and 5-8:30 pm on Saturdays.
Pictured from left to right are McCart, Megan Helaire, Alyssa Robertson, Lora Cole, Miss Merry Christmas Victoria Wiggins, Emerson Cain, Johanna Smith, and Elliana Van Sickle.