The Natchitoches Parish School Board received an update from Superintendent Grant Eloi regarding the new LEAP 2025 data recently released by the Louisiana Department of Education at the Board meeting on Aug. 5.
- Grades 3-8
- From 2019 to 2021, the number of students scoring Mastery or above saw a decrease; 2 percentage points in grades 3-8 and 3 percentage points in grades 9-12. This decrease was felt across all grade levels, content areas and student subgroups.
- Simultaneously, learning gaps deepened, as evidenced by a 5 percentage point increase in the number of students scoring Unsatisfactory. This disproportionately impacted:
- Economically disadvantaged students
- Students in the earlier tested grades (e.g., grades 3 and 4)
- Scores earned in mathematics
- Grades 9-12
- Across all subjects, the number of students scoring Mastery and above declined by 5 percentage points since 2019.
- In each individual subject, the number of students scoring Mastery and above has decreased since 2019.
- Algebra I saw the greatest decline (-9 percentage points) from 2019 – 2021, and English II had the smallest decline (-2 percentage points).
Eloi said the Natchitoches Parish School District is not where he wants it to be with LEAP scores…yet. He wants the district’s proficiency (mastery and advanced combined) to be somewhere in the high 40s to 50s range. This year it wasn’t that the schools didn’t focus on academics. Teachers had so many other things to deal with (pandemic, weather events, multiple quarantines, etc.) that a lot of time they weren’t able to focus on academics.
“I am through the roof that I can tell you that we maintained this year, not only did we maintain in a Covid year, but we maintained better than the vast majority of school districts in the state,” said Eloi.
Most school districts lost 4 points or worse. Natchitoches Parish only lost 2 points in 3-8th grade and only 3 points for high school.
“I think we can all contextualize that this is a win,” he added.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE